Unfortunately, this blog is stopped a bit right now and its future isn't sure. For now I'll be posting only the Daring Bakers Challenges but I might recover the blog and post about other food as well... Who knows.

6/28/2012

The Daring Bakers' Challenge June 2012 - Going Batty for the Jubilee

Mandy of What The Fruitcake?! came to our rescue last minute to present us with the Battenberg Cake challenge! She highlighted Mary Berry’s techniques and recipes to allow us to create this unique little cake with ease.
I made two versions of the Battenberg Cake, first I made a classic one and then with some coffee and cocoa, both recipes are here. I think Mandy prepared a great challenge and I'll definitely make Battenberg again.


Traditional Battenberg (natural sponges, one with red food coloring, apricot jam, covered with homemade marzipan)





Coffee and Cocoa Battenberg (coffee and cocoa sponges with coffee buttercream and white chocolate plastique)



3 comments:

  1. WOw, that's a beautiful Battenberg cake, the homemade marzipan looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - both of your versions look so nice!! The coffee and cocoa one is speaking to me... I bet it was deliciously mocha-y!! Wonderful job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes turned out beautifully! Now I'm wishing I would have made the coffee version. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete